Heat Stress for Campers
How Do I Keep from Getting Sick from Heat?
Too much heat can make you sick and keep you from having fun at camp. To keep from getting sick from the heat, you should:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Take rest breaks in the shade.
- Shower and then take a dip in the pool.
Your body helps you stay cool by sweating when you are hot. Here’s some other ways you can help your body keep cool:
- Wear clothing that is "light and loose" - warm weather clothing.
- Wear a hat with a big brim to keep off the sun.
- Use sunscreen to protect your skin, so your skin can protect you.
- Drink plenty of water on hot days. Drink extra water or sports drinks when you are playing ball or running and getting hot and sweaty. When you sweat, you lose water from your body. If you keep drinking water, then you won't dry out.
How Do I Know If the Heat is Making Me Sick?
Pay attention to your body. Here are some signs that the heat is starting to make you sick:
- Stomach cramps and leg cramps
- Lots and lots of sweating
- Pounding heart beat
- Breathing really fast
- Feeling sick to your stomach or throwing up
- Not feeling hungry
- Feeling really, really thirsty
- Feeling dizzy or weak
Pay attention to your body! If you start to feel this way, you should get into the shade, drink plenty of water and tell a responsible person right away in case you need additional assistance.
Remember, heat stroke is not a joke. Pay attention to your body so you don’t get sick!